Property Details


Property ID: 3

Galleries
 


Address and Location
Street Address:
36 Liverpool Road (View Details)
Suburb/Postcode: Croydon  2132
City: Sydney
State: NSW
Country: Australia

Council/LGA and Zoning
Council/LGA: Burwood
Zoning:


Property Details
Category: House
Name(s):
"BROCKLEY"
Built: c. 1887
Architect:
Builder:
Architectual Type: Victorian
Demolished: Yes (2012)


Protections
No Protections Assigned


Description
'Brockley' was located fronting the southern side of Liverpool Road in Croydon directly opposite the 'Malvern Hill Conservation Area' and close to Austin Avenue. The house was a small Victorian cottage with a hipped slate roof, featuring a projecting faceted window bay of stucco with rounded double-hung windows. Other features included bracketed eaves and a verandah roofed with corrugated iron with cast iron columns and fretwork brackets. Apart from the main window bay the rest of the house, including it's chimneys, were of painted brick.

The interior of the main half of house featured a hallway down the middle with 2 rooms on the eastern side and 3 rooms on the western side. The front rooms being the largest would have been the reception rooms and the other 3 being bedrooms. The four front rooms featured fireplaces.


Historical Notes
Not that much is known about the history of 'Brockley' at this point, but it appears to have been built as the residence of the Hogg family in 1887. On February 5, 1888 a son was born at 'Brockley' to Mr. and Mrs. G. Hogg.[1] Prior to this, the October 3, 1885 issue of Sydney Morning Herald notes that a daughter was born to Mrs. George Hogg at Brockley, Kent - a district of south London in England.[2] Assuming this is the same couple living at 'Brockley' in Croydon, it would support an 1887 build date as well as Mr. and Mrs. Hogg having named the house after their former place of residence in England.

Demolition

An application for the demolition of the house and construction of a new house was submitted in 2012 and approved a couple of months later. During July 2012 the house was stripped of most of its building materials such as fireplaces, timber work and slate roofing, then demolished the following month starting from August 2 over a period of 3 days.


References
  1. (Feb 10, 1888). "Family Notices". Sydney Morning Herald
  2. (Oct 3, 1885). "Family Notices". Sydney Morning Herald



Login or Register to comment



Comments
No Comments

Most Viewed Articles
No Articles Viewed as of late
 

Most Commented Articles
No Comments to articles as of late










Copyright © 2015 Mark Babij